Géolocalization
 
Cimetière du Dud Corner et mémorial britannique de Loos

Route de Béthune - 62750 LOOS EN GOHELLE

 

1,812 soldiers lie in this cemetery, given its name because of the large number of unexploded shells (duds) found nearby. Surrounding the cemetery, the memorial pays tribute to the 20,586 soldiers who fell at the Battle of Loos in September 1915. It was inaugurated in August 1930 in the presence of the English writer Rudyard Kipling, whose son John* was killed during that battle. The name of John Kipling was engraved on the memorial until the discovery of his remains in 1991.

John Kipling : Although he could have been declared unfit to fight because he was short-sighted, John Kipling, son of Rudyard Kipling (Nobel Prize for Literature in 1907 and author of the famous Jungle Book), enlisted so as not to disappoint his father, who was strongly believed in fighting for one’s country. Thanks to him, he joined the Irish Guards Regiment as a lieutenant. He was killed during his first campaign on 27 September 1915 at the age of 18 during the Battle of Loos, and was listed as missing. At the end of the war, his name was recorded on the Loos Memorial. In 1992, research carried out by the CWGC concluded with certainty that John Kipling had been laid to rest in the Saint Mary’s A.D.S. Cemetery.
† Grave of John Kipling: Row 7 D, 2nd stela from the left.