Géolocalization
 
Eglise du Millenium

21 route de Béthune - 62300 LENS

 

This religious building is a living testimony of the Polish presence in the Mining Basin.

In 1919, a wooden chapel was erected near the pit No. 1 of the Mines de Lens pending reconstruction of the Saint-Léger church in the city center. It is then particularly devoted to the cult of Polish families who settle en masse in the region between the wars in order to support the reconstruction and work for the mining companies.

Thanks to the donations of the Polish community, a church celebrating the millennium of Christendom in Poland is built on the same site in 1966. Inside, the stained-glass windows by Andrzej Kulesza evoke the rich and tormented history of this country.
Today the Mass is still in French and Polish: Saturday at 6 pm and Sunday at 10 am.

Guided tour Saturday July 15, 2017 at 14:30. Duration 1h30. Rates: from 1 € to 6 €. Booking essential at the tourist office (03 21 67 66 66).

Host languages :
french