Le monument commémoratif de la catastrophe de Courrières

Place Ferrer - 62430 SALLAUMINES


This monument is a remarkable testimony of one of the largest ever known in Europe mining disasters.

Originally erected in 1909, it was destroyed during the First World War and then rebuilt by the architect Jean-Baptiste Goniaux and René-François Delannoy Douai. In this new version, the sculpture that sits atop distinguishes itself by adopting an original bias to try to represent the invisible and dreaded scourge of firedamp. Located on the town hall square along the RN43, the monument is facing the axis marked by deep mining epic.

Host languages :