Géolocalization
 
Address & contact

Rue Rouget de Lisle - 62580 VIMY

t. 03 21 07 72 90f. 03 21 07 72 99
 
Introduction

population: 4675 inhabitants

Contact the City Council:
Rue Rouget de Lisle
62580 Vimy
Tel: 03 21 07 72 90
Fax: 03 21 07 72 99
E.mail: home-mairie.decroix @ orange.fr or home-mairie.lesage @ orange.fr
Website: www.vimy.fr

Opening hours:
Monday to Friday from 8am to 12am and from 2pm to 5.30pm
Saturday, permanent civil status, from 9am to 10:30am

A little history:
At the site of the current City Hall once stood the castle, erected in 1249 by the powerful Lord Adam de Vimy. At its destruction in 1833, it was discovered that the solid construction of the Middle Ages, occupied the seat of an ancient Gallo-Roman cemetery.

In 1212, Vimy was devastated by the battle between Fernando of Portugal, Count of Flanders, Philip Augustus, King of France.

In 1369, the English attacked the village again, only record of previous conflicts.

In 1648, thousands of wounded from the battle of Lens were treated at the castle of Vimy, a military hospital.

From 1708 to 1712, the country of Vimy suffered much this time of the War of Spanish Succession (theft, looting, fires ...). During these four years, Vimy was practically busy and it is only April 11, 1712, when it was concluded the Treaty of Utrecht, the village found peace and tranquility.


Mine Vimy:

On the eve of World War I, mining and metallurgical complete farming and craft of Vimy Ridge. At that time, you can count on 60 farms, 52 cafes and pubs, to 2400 people.

As early as 1912, two wells were dug and then arrested during the 1914-1918 war. Mining resumed in 1922 after reconstruction of the facilities but was finally abandoned in 1924.

Shortly before 1914, was also built at Vimy an important workshop named "Society of Mechanical Vimy" (casting, sheet metal), which was burned and later transferred to Arras.


World War I:
From 1915 to 1917, the village of Vimy is completely destroyed.

End of 1914, the French tried unsuccessfully to resume Vimy Ridge occupied by the Germans.

The attacks of 1915 had led to a few inches of land were abandoned the following year.

In October 1916, Canadian troops moved into the sector.

Vimy Ridge was in fact a fortress, impregnable way, most point of the defense system of the Germans, and barred access to mines and factories in northern France.

April 9, 1917, Canadian troops captured by a heroic assault definitely Vimy Ridge. If victory was swift, it was unfortunately costly in lives and there were 10 062 victims among Canadians.

The Canadian Memorial:

This is in recognition of the sacrifices that the French government conceded this territory in Canada, who built the monument. Designed by Walter Seymour Allward, it took 11 years to complete.Construction of the Memorial began in 1925, the foundation stone was laid by the Honourable Roy, Canadian Ambassador in Paris.

It was unveiled July 26, 1936 by King Edward VIII in the presence of French President Albert Lebrun, Mr Prime Minister WL Mackenzie King of Canada and 50,000 French and Canadian veterans.

The two towering pylons of the memorial and symbolic figures sculpted twice life size, contain nearly 6,000 tons of limestone, transported from an old quarry of Yugoslavia.

At the bottom of the stairs rise defenders: two groups of characters which represents the breaking of a sword and the other Canadians sympathy for the victims. Above each group there are guns, dumb and draped in laurel branches and olive. Engraved on the walls, the names of missing Canadians.

In the park of 91 hectares surrounding the monument, 11,285 trees and shrubs were planted in Canada, which correspond to the number of names on the monument.

In wartime, a network of tunnels on several floors, trenches supported by sandbags, craters and shell holes defined the landscape. The tunnel barn, which originally had a length of 750 m, has been restored and preserved.

To see:
- The Canadian National Vimy Memorial Park