Nécropole nationale de Notre-Dame de Lorette


t. 03 21 29 30 62

Located at the edge of the road linking Arras to Bethune, the RD 153

This site, which brings together the largest number of individual military graves in France, was one of the main battlefields of the First World War in Artois.

The strategic promontory occupied by the Germans from the beginning of the conflict, the hill of Notre-Dame de Lorette is marked by terrible fights until its recovery by the French in May 1915. The losses are such that it is nicknamed "the hill 100,000 dead.
At the end of the conflict, a decision was made to build a cemetery for soldiers killed on the Flanders and Artois fronts. Inaugurated in 1925, it brings together 20,000 individual graves and the remains of more than 22,000 unknown soldiers in seven ossuaries. In the center of the cemetery are a basilica, which replaces a small chapel destroyed in 1914, and a 52m tower as a "lantern of the dead". These Romanesque-Byzantine-inspired buildings are the work of the architect Louis-Marie Cordonnier. The site offers a beautiful panorama on the mining basin and the hills of Artois.
Since November 11, 2014, an International Memorial is facing the necropolis. Designed by the architect Philippe Prost, it pays tribute to 580,000 fallen soldiers in Nord-Pas-de-Calais, all nationalities combined.

- The basilica of Notre-Dame will be closed for restoration works of the inner skins from Monday, November 20 until the end of September 2018.

Guided tours of the site as well as Lens'14-18 every Sunday at 15h . Duration: 2h

Open freely:
- October to March from 08:30 to 16:15
- April to May from 9:00 to 17:30
- June to August from 9:00 to 18:30
- in September from 9:00 to 17:30