Quartier Saint-Amé

Place du Triage - 62800 LIEVIN

t. 03 21 67 66 66

The headland of Saint-Amé belonged to pit No. 3 of the Société des Mines de Lens, established in June 1858 on the territory of Liévin.

An easel or horse-shoe designates the large metal tower, which is placed above a well, supports the wheels, these large pulleys on which pass the cables of the elevator carrying the miners and the coal.

On December 27, 1974, a blow of firedamp at the bottom of the mine makes here 42 victims. Near the headstock stands the church of Saint-Amé with, on both sides, the schools of girls and boys of the mining city. In the church, contemporary stained-glass windows by the artist Judith Debruyn and a work by British sculptor Raymond Mason render a poignant tribute to the victims of the catastrophe and highlight the dynamics of this place at the crossroads of memory, heritage and Of contemporary art.